Sunday, September 28, 2008

Richard N. Martin Trial

Below is George W. Diamond's account of the Citizen's Court trial of Richard N. Martin. We question the accuracy of Diamond's full account of the Richard N. Martin trial and what he testified.

In all our research, we cannot find where Richard N. Martin was the brother-in-law to William Boyles.
*Richard Martin's wife was Cynthia Jane Neely.
*William Boyles married Elizabeth West and his only known sister married a Nelson Gibson.
*Richard Martin's only sister married Charles Whatley in 1858. Then after he died, she married a Leffel in 1869.
(Note: Boyles was the brother-in-law to David M. Leffel, who was also hanged. The common link to between the Martin and Boyles family was the Leffel family, but that link was NOT there until years after Martin died.)

Did Diamond combine two people to come up with this testimony, did he mix-up names or did he embellish the truth a little??
If anyone can shed any light on the Martin-Boyles relationship, please let us know.
(All three families (Martin, Boyles & Neely) came into Texas from Illinois.)


Martin's speech at the end seems very angry and vindictive. Of course, who wouldn't be, knowing they were soon to be hanged. Perhaps Richard Martin thought that by confessing to what the court wanted to hear and laying real or exaggerated blame on others, he would be pardoned at the last minute.

Here is Diamond's account of the trial:

The State vs. Richard N. Martin
Disloyalty & Treason
I.L. Ozment sworn: (witness)
R. N. Martin told me that there existed a secret organization in the Country; and if I would go with him, he could take me in an hour where I could learn all about it. I consented to go. He took me to the residence of Wm. Boyles; and after going a short distance from the house Boyles initiated me. He swore me to support the old Constitution and Union. He gave me the signs, grip and password.
Martin was found guilty and after being sentenced confessed his crimes.

Upon the scaffold, in the presence of citizens and soldiers, he delivered the following address:
Gentlemen: When I first joined this secret organization, I did not fully understand its objects and intentions. But afterwards I received a document containing its plans. Although I am to die upon this tree, before I am hung I want to tell all I know concerning this order; and desire it made known to the world.
You commenced the work to break up this secret order in good time. By this time it would have been too late for you. It was our intention to rise up and kill all southern men, women and children and take possession of their property. To the very best of my understanding this was the purpose.
Now, I pray that you will go on with this work, until every member of this order is brought to justice. I can refer you to one whom I desire shall be punished as I am punished; I want him hung to the same limb to which I am hung -- my brother-in-law, Wm. Boyles. He is the author of my ruin. I took his counsel, and being a bad man, he gave me bad advice. (Here, he informed the people, where Boyles might be found.) Hunt him to the end of the world, or finish him, for his crimes. I hope I may be forgiven. Although I have injured the people so much I die with the consolation that in the end I done my duty to them.
Here his time expired and he was launched into eternity.
Boyles was later killed at Collinsville.


George W. Diamond, "Account of the Great Hanging at Gainesville, 1862" SOUTHWESTERN HISTORICAL QUARTERLY, Vol. 66, no. 3, January, 1963, p. 331-414, edited by Sam Acheson and Julie Ann Hudson O'Connell.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband is Charles Francis Martin's great great grandson. His name is Kevin Martin. Here is the family line. Charles Francis Marting married Nancy Ann Cantrell. There last child, Harvey Robert Martin was born in 1908 (a later baby) Harevy Robert Martin married Gertrude Luella Christian. They had two sons John Charles Martin 1944-2007. Robert Wayne Martin (a surprise baby) 1960-still living. My husband is Robert's oldest son. Not much is known about Charles's past because he died in 1910 when my husband's great grandpa was on 2.

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! So interesting! I am Jannie Martin. Johnnie Ray Martins youngest daughter. His dad is Johnie, and Johnie Dad was James B, and James's Dad was Richard N. I found out, while researching my tree, that Richard was hanged. What a horrible tragedy!! I left you a message on ancestry.com.

Hershel Parker said...

Here is a passage from an 1863 Newspaper article by "P." See the Postscript to my review of "GREAT HANGING" on Amazon--just go to Amazon Books and type in "Great Hanging" and read the review.
This is what P says:
A young man of the name of Anderson swore that he was initiated by Locke—who was emphatically one of the most shrewd and desperate men. The oath as given by him is about the same in substance and phraseology as I have herein written it. He said he had frequently attended their meetings in his vicinity; that the understanding was when they commenced their outrages to murder all the men who were not members of this institution, their wives and children. Richard Martin, who was initiated by a Mr. Bolls [?--Boyle] stated the same under the gallows. They had no opportunity of communicating with each other, and knew nothing in regard to each other’s testimony.

Now, the paper is hard to read. I THINK it says Bolls and I think Boyle was a brother in law of Martin. You will know who this is.

Anonymous said...

Just discovered this in the past year. Richard Neely Martin is my third great grandfather through his son James Buchanan Martin. I would love to know about any gatherings or memorials held at this site.